Sunday, January 30, 2011

Adjusting to Krakow

I am officially moved to Krakow!!!!! A week ago I returned to Krakow (after a week trip back to Poznan). My roommate (another volunteer) came back with me. We spent the week settling into our new apartment and a new city. We experienced many different adjustments. Even though I am in the same country and surrounded by the same language, I am struggling with figuring out where everything is located.

This was the week of IKEA!!! I lost count of how many different IKEA items I put together this week. I built furniture for 2 different apartments! My roommate and I made 2 different trips to IKEA on the tram and carried back bags of items and even shelving! It was not the easiest thing to do because we had to take 1 bus and 2 different trams to get home. But we conquered it! finding IKEA for the first time was a difficult task. I looked up the directions on the internet and found out the route we needed to take. However, what I found was by far not the easiest way. I then let my memory kick in and tried to walk us there. We ended up walking an hour in a huge circle! Finally an overpass and a Harley Davidson sign showed me the way to go! And we found IKEA the first time! It took us a couple hours, but hey, we ended up in the right spot! We also carried a microwave, laundry rack, and groceries for 3 different places on a tram home (in one trip). I learned a lot about how much one person can carry on a crowded tram! It was a week of trying to get our apartment to a nice standard.

Since I am unable to do a lot of the work needed to be done in the shop, and we don't have the money we need to finish the work, I got to do some exploring this week. I spent time playing tourist and visiting different sites in the city. I was shown where all the students hang-out and the best restaurants and coffee places. Got a good look at our competition! It was a nice week to just settle in and enjoy my new city. A great reminder of how beautiful Krakow is!

Today I finally received all of my stuff from Poznan. I am now officially moved to Krakow!


No comments:

Post a Comment