Monday, March 10, 2014

Time Flies.......

Time flies when you are....... having fun? doing ministry? extra busy?
Whatever the reason, time flies by. Today I actually opened up my blog and found that it has been 6 months since I have written, six months!!!! Where in the world did fall and winter in Denmark go? It seems to have zoomed by like that summer vacation does for a child. Today is spring in Copenhagen, the air is fresh, the sun is nice and the long over due blue sky is showing. In the midst of winter I was not seeing this time fly, but everyone knows my strong dislike for cold, snow, and ice. Luckily we did not have too much of that this year. But, now it is spring and the sun and warmth is returning (if only for a day). So, what has been happening in my life here in Denmark?? So much can happen in 6 months.

I spent this weekend in Oslo, Norway at our Portuguese speaking church there. We had our Scandinavian District Assembly. I was privileged to be the representative from Sweet Surrender. With this privilege comes the task of reporting to the district what has happened this year. And when I stood in front of all the important people all the facts of the business and events flew out the window and the stories of the people came out. The different people that we have met through the last year, the stories of how their lives have been changed by walking through the doors of Sweet Surrender and how our lives are changed because we have been able to minister to them. Because isn't that the point?? I could write or talk for a long time about all the hours we work, all our food, drinks, and how much money we make. I can list the different project groups we have started, the different places our income has supported, but in the long run none of that matters, the people matter. And so what have I been doing the past  months (besides obviously not updating my blog). I have been standing behind a bar making coffee, in a kitchen helping make food, cleaning, helping plan/throw parties/vents, helping organize a church, teaching, preaching, counseling, but most importantly- getting to know people and trying to affect their lives. So, when I reported to the district I shared about the neighbors who I have talked to about Christ and the church. I talked about the people who walk in off the street and become volunteers because of the community they feel in the cafe. And that is why we have built Sweet Surrender in Copenhagen, not to be another non-profit cafe, not just to be a place where mother groups can relax and be free (which are all wonderful things). But, we built it to be a place where people meet Christ, where people come face to face with real love and acceptance. The team has worked really hard to create that place in the last year. I think we finally have arrived, our customers, neighbors, and volunteers come back because they know we are different and they want that. Soon, they will realize it is really Christ they want and we are here to give them that!

No comments:

Post a Comment